Wednesday 20 January 2010

About

The "Save My Tracks" website idea is already a few years old: I wanted to create a place where people could upload their GPS tracks and from where they could embed them in their own web site. I had made some early experiments back in 2007 and 2008, but never progressed the software to be installed on a public server.

In summer 2009 I decided to set up a site and reserve an appropriate domain name - but it took until January 2010 to have the first content on the site. However, this first content had only partially to do with what I had originally intended: instead of GPS tracks, I uploaded pictures. This was to test the capability of the software which I had written for automatic image capture and upload. It worked well, in conjunction with PHP (which handled the picture upload) and a MySQL database where the locations of the pictures were stored.

Currently there is not much on this site; I will post here on this blog details about the further development.

No comments:

Post a Comment